18-B-05: Per-Sport Membership

On March 16, 2018, in Bylaws Proposals, by Jen Saab

SUBJECT: Per-Sport Membership

Amend Bylaws Article I, Section T, Item 15 as follows:

15. Governing documents of an affiliated conference shall include a clearly defined application and approval process for conference membership.

NOTE :   When conference/A.I.I. governing documents allow for multiple tiers of membership, an affiliated conference/A.I.I. may permit an NAIA active member to join the conference/A.I.I. on a per-sport(s) basis if the institution otherwise holds membership in an affiliated conference/A.I.I. which has fewer than six institutions declaring intent to participate in NAIA postseason in the given sport(s).

Institutions shall submit eligibility certification, request exceptional rulings, submit self-reported violations and report statistics through the affiliated conference/A.I.I. in which the institution competes in a given sport. An institution eligible for NAIA postseason and holding per-sport(s) membership in an affiliated conference/A.I.I. shall:

a)   Count toward the automatic qualification calculations for the affiliated conference/A.I.I. in the given sport for which the institution holds per-sport membership;

b)   Be eligible for automatic qualification to the national competition through the affiliated conference/A.I.I. in the given sport for which the institution holds per-sport membership; and

c)   Be eligible for awards programs, conference/A.I.I. ratings, national ratings, national statistical rankings and publications contests through the affiliated conference/A.I.I. in the given sport for which the institution holds per-sport membership.

Intent: To permit the A.I.I. to offer per-sport membership, and allow all the benefits and responsibilities of per-sport membership to also apply to the A.I.I.

Effective date: August 1, 2018

Submitted by: Association of Independent Institutions

Co-sponsored by: Cascade Collegiate Conference

Leave a Reply