18-B-06: Eligibility Chair

On March 16, 2018, in Bylaws Proposals, by Jen Saab

SUBJECT: Eligibility Chair

Amend Bylaws Article I, Section U as follows:

The eligibility chair shall be appointed by the conference/A.I.I. governing body, with input from the conference/A.I..I. faculty athletics representatives. The eligibility chair must have significant experience in eligibility certification and eligibility rules, including but not limited to serving as an institutional faculty athletics representative, serving as eligibility chair of another NAIA conference/A.I.I., or serving as a former member of the National Eligibility Committee. The eligibility chair shall:

1.   Receive and review the eligibility certification as submitted by the faculty athletics representative of each member;

2.   Serve as the chair of the conference/A.I.I. eligibility committee;

3.   Receive and review all reports of institutional violations and all requests for exceptions from its members. The eligibility chair shall share these reports and requests with the conference/A.I.I. commissioner, the conference/A.I.I. eligibility committee and report the committee’s recommendation to the National Office;

4.   Attend the NAIA National Convention regularly, but not less than once every three years; and

5.   Facilitate rules education activities for the conference/A.I.I., with specific attention to the rules education of newly appointed faculty athletics representatives, athletics directors and coaches

Intent: To clarify that a conference/A.I.I. may name as its eligibility chair an individual with significant eligibility experience but who has not previously served as an institutional faculty athletics representative, eligibility chair, or member of the NEC.

Effective date: August 1, 2018

Submitted by: Golden State Athletic Conference

Co-sponsored by: Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference, Sooner Athletic Conference

1 Response » to “18-B-06: Eligibility Chair”

1. The Conference Eligibility Chair role is extremely critical to rules compliance and the integrity of the NAIA—especially because we are a self-governing association. This proposed bylaw change does not change this bylaw language, “[t]he eligibility chair must have significant experience in eligibility certification and eligibility rules”. Clearly, the original bylaw, as passed, foresaw that the only persons who would fit this expectation would be persons who, “[were] serving as an institutional faculty athletics representative, serving as eligibility chair of another NAIA conference/A.I.I., or serving as a former member of the National Eligibility Committee.” This proposed change in this bylaw removes any expectation that the Conference Eligibility Chair “must have” a background which would logically enable this person to have the knowledge and experiences which enable this person to deliver the level of service that conference members have a right to expect.

Leave a Reply