SUBJECT: Athletics Compliance Administrator

Add Bylaws Article I, Section D as follows:

SECTION D – ATHLETICS COMPLIANCE ADMINISTRATOR

When appointed, an athletics compliance administrator shall work in cooperation with the faculty athletics representative and athletics director to foster an environment of education and adherence to all institution, conference and NAIA regulations.

An athletics compliance administrator may:

a.     Assist the director of athletics, faculty athletics representative, athletic staff, students, and fans in understanding and abiding by institution, conference and NAIA regulations.

b.     Perform duties that may include researching students’ academic and athletic experience, preparing eligibility certification, researching amateurism, and tracking participation dates, practice seasons, and/or team financial aid limits.

c.     Work in conjunction with the faculty athletics representative and registrar to ensure that all participating student-athletes are eligible in accordance with institution, conference and NAIA rules.

d.     Assist the faculty athletics representative in providing a rules education program for students, coaches and administrators regarding institution, conference and NAIA rules.

e.     Be a member of the athletics office (e.g., coach or athletics department staff) or an institutional staff member (e.g., athletic liaison, academic advisor, etc.) but not assigned as a faculty athletics representative or director of athletics.

f.      Work with the athletics director and faculty athletics representative to develop policies and procedures to monitor and ensure compliance with all NAIA and conference rules and regulations.

(Renumber sections accordingly.)

AND

Add Bylaws Article X, Section C, Item 10 as follows:

10. Athletics Compliance Administrators Association (ACAA)

This association is responsible for the professional development of athletics compliance administrators, and for assisting in responsible growth of the position across the association. This association may make recommendations regarding eligibility or athletics compliance policies to the Council of Faculty Athletics Representatives. The association will meet annually at the NAIA National Convention, and membership is open to individuals of member institutions who are delegated the duties and responsibilities of an athletics compliance administrator as described in Article I, Section D.

Intent: To create a role description for an athletics compliance administrator, and corresponding association.

Effective date: August 1, 2018

Submitted by: Athletics Directors Association

Co-sponsored by: The Sun Conference

4 Responses to “18-B-07: Athletics Compliance Administrator”

1. As a FAR, I, and, many, many of my colleagues routinely perform the duties listed in D, “a” through “d” and “f”. Perhaps, in “b”, numerous persons do not undertake these responsibilities—“tracking participation dates, practice seasons, and/or team financial aid limits”; however, these same persons routinely perform the other listed duties in “b”.

My point is this: if the Compliance person routinely performs the tasks as identified in the proposal, what is left for the FAR to do? This proposal outlines a system where there will be a duplication of responsibilities. Elsewhere, the NAIA Constitution and Bylaws clearly identifies the role and responsibilities of the institution’s FAR. This bylaw proposal will gut the position of FAR within the Association. Clearly, any AD has a very complicated and difficult job to perform. A Compliance person certainly could assist the AD. I would suggest, for example, that any AD would find it very helpful if a Compliance person would, (1) keeping on top of everything associated with Short Lists; (2) keeping up-to-date lists of who is EC and institution eligible at any given moment; (3) monitoring 24-week schedules; (4) monitoring number of contests; (5) monitoring financial aid participant maximums from contest-to-contest; (6) assisting coaches in submitting rosters for on-campus eligibility certification in a timely fashion; (7) assist the AD and designated sport coach in checking the veracity of the institution’s eligibility certificate after data entry; (8) assist the AD in obtaining and sending “Tracers”; and, (9) assist the AD in submitting Hardship Requests.

The FAR must be the authoritative voice about everything to do with athletic and academic eligibility of all student-athletes, and, at the minimum, perform the following tasks: (1) if the FAR does not enter EPC data, the FAR must assume all data entry is incorrect and compare every student’s transcript with entered data before affixing signature; (2) meet individually with each transfer, and, with all transfer transcripts in hand, create the Transfer Statement within the ECP software: (3) work closely with the person in the Registrar’s/Records Office who signs the Eligibility Certificate as “Registrar”; (4) be the last person to finalize and submit the eligibility package to the National Office; (5) be the campus authority on NAIA rules and conference rules (if applicable); (6) provide yearly eligibility seminars to all coaches; and, (7) attend the NAIA National Convention at least every-other-year and participate in FARA activities.

• Chesney Sallee says:

The role of the FAR and those duties the FAR is ultimately responsible for are outlined in NAIA Bylaws Article I, Section C. All proposals go through a lengthy process of review by the Constitution & Bylaws Committee, during which the committee vets all proposals to ensure that there is no conflict with other bylaws. Here, that meant the committee ensured that this proposal does not directly conflict with those duties prescribed as the responsibility of the FAR. In some cases, you may see that there are duties prescribed to an FAR that this proposal allows an ACA to assist with, but ultimate responsibility continues to lie with the FAR. There may be duties listed in this proposal that some FARs are doing in practice today, but which may not be specifically required of the FAR per bylaws, meaning this proposal would not create a conflict within the bylaws but could be a conflict in practice for some campuses.

• I disagree with the evaluation of the Constitution and Bylaws Committee. There are “duties” listed in the proposal, which if performed by the “compliance person” will remove those responsibilities from the institution’s FAR. To believe this would not happen is simply foolish. I ask again: if this proposal is agreed to, what specific responsibilities will be performed by the FAR at an institution with a compliance person who now has these duties? This proposal, if agreed to, will result in institutions, who are so inclined, to transfer significant and major responsibilities from the FAR to the compliance person. That FAR will be without any support in the Bylaws for his/her argument that this transfer is contrary to the long standing purpose and role of the FAR within the NAIA. The FAR will be marginalized, and, this will occur for one fundamental reason: the Athletics Department will have the legitimate right (per this proposal) to take on what have been the responsibilities of the FAR. Only a very naive person would believe differently. This proposal will result in the FAR being left with little authority within the Bylaws with which to counter the inevitable moves by the Athletics Department.

• In my initial statement, I provided a list of significant tasks which, if performed by a compliance person, would very likely be of significant assistance to any AD. This list actually provides a distinctive difference between the purposes and roles of the FAR and any compliance person. Such a distinction would provide support to the FAR in her/his desire to perform that job as practiced by many, many FARs without the threat of encroachment by the Athletics Department. Elsewhere in a discussion thread of FARs, Brenda White provided the evidence of the association’s view of the role of the institutional FAR. In part, Brenda stated the obvious: the FAR as a member of the faculty is there to ensure the integrity of the eligibility process and to protect the academic integrity of the institution. This is why the FAR must be someone who has no connection with the institution’s Athletics Department.

Leave a Reply