Amend Article I, Section G, Item 1 as follows:

1. The maximum number of varsity games, contests or playing dates an institution may schedule is listed below. The number of junior varsity or freshman games, contests or playing dates scheduled during the academic year cannot exceed the number of varsity games, contests or playing dates scheduled during that academic year. Further, no student may compete in a sport in an academic year in more than the number of games, contests or playing dates listed below (this includes varsity, junior varsity, freshman, etc.), excluding NAIA-approved postseason participation.

For a contest of any kind (i.e. scrimmage, exhibition, game/meet, etc.), once the contest has commenced the designation of the type of contest will be officially recorded as such, and the designation cannot be changed retroactively.

. . . 

AND

Amend Bylaws Article V, Section M, Item 2 as follows:

2. All hardship requests must meet the following criteria:

a. They must involve an injury or illness which is beyond the control of the student or coach and which incapacitates the student from competing further during the sport season in question as verified by the attending physician (i.e. M.D. or D.O.) who must have examined the student during the sport season in question.

b. The student involved shall not have participated in more contests or dates, excluding scrimmages, in the affected sport during the sports season than those listed for the sport:

NOTE 1:   These limits shall be updated annually to reflect 20% of the maximum allowable contests or dates as listed in Article I, Section F, Item 1 of the NAIA Bylaws.

NOTE 2:   These limits shall apply to injuries occurring on or after August 1, 2015. Medical Hardship requests for injuries occurring before August 1, 2015 will be evaluated based upon the rule(s) in place at the time of the injury.

. . .

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Intent: To change the frequency of play limit in the sport of softball from being articulated as 28 contest dates to instead be expressed as 56 games, and adjust the medical hardship limits accordingly.

Effective date: August 1, 2020

Submitted by: Softball Coaches Association

Co-sponsored by: Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference

2 Responses to “20-B-01: Softball Frequency of Play and Medical Hardship Limits”

1. Stacy Jordan says:

should the terminology not match that of baseball in this table. should it say contests instead of games?

2. The old argument for keeping it at dates was softball could play as many as 3 or 4 games one one date (at a tournament). I fear this will lead to more travel as they won’t play 3 or 4 games on one date any more at a time when we are trying to come to grips with the rising cost of athletics and post-season travel expenses.

Leave a Reply